A Hawaiian pre-school is under investigation following reports that three children were accidentally served Pine-Sol cleaner instead of apple juice this week, Hawaii News Now reports.
The children reportedly took several sips of the cleaning fluid before child care workers at the school realized the mistake. Paramedics were called to the scene, where three young girls, one, a 4-year-old, and two 5-year-olds, were treated at the scene. They did not present any apparent signs of trauma or sickness and were not taken to the hospital according to the report.
Investigators with the state's Health Department found that a classroom assistant who was preparing morning snacks for children at the Kilohana United Methodist Church Preschool accidentally served the cleaning fluid out of the original Pine-Sol container was properly labeled.
According to the review by the state, the assistant reportedly "saw the yellow/brown colored liquid container on a clean-up cart in the kitchen and returned to the classroom with the crackers and container with liquid. The assistant poured the liquid into cups as the classroom teacher oversaw the students at the restroom. The classroom teacher smelled that it was not apple juice, and stopped the students from drinking it."
No other food items were on the clean-up cart, which also contained "a rubbish can and cleaning supplies."
In a letter to parents, the preschool called the incident with the Pine-Sol "unfortunate" and made it clear that no children were injured.
“Only sips were taken before the lead teacher realized the liquid was not apple juice," the preschool said. “The staff responded immediately by calling EMS and police. The children’s parents were immediately notified as well.”
The school says they plan on reviewing the workflow for assistants to "obtaining snacks and refreshments to rule out the smallest possibility of an occurrence like this from happening again."
Staff at the preschool are also being required to undergo mandatory training.